We get asked this question a lot, and there are several reasons:
1. Happy Hippo does not buy cheap, low-quality Kratom (and neither should you). Our high-quality Kratom is harvested from fully mature Mitragyna trees that have been allowed to develop a balanced Alkaloid profile. Our Kratom is then pre-tested AND sterilized at 170 degrees (this temperature is hot enough to kill any remaining pathogens but not hot enough to disrupt the native Alkaloid profile).
Our Kratom is potent and requires a smaller serving size than the generic powder you will find elsewhere.
2. Happy Hippo is Certified by the American Kratom Association to meet their Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP). Operating under 21 C.F.R. (FDA standards for dietary supplements) is an expensive but highly necessary process. We also package our Kratom in-house so we know exactly how it got in your Bags.
3. Happy Hippo doesn’t actually import Kratom! This might come as a surprise. Starting in 2017, we decided to no longer import Kratom directly from Indonesia (the stories of Puddles Hippo going to the South Pacific in his little wooden sailboat are actually just folklore). Instead, we have a company that does the importing for us. This company also tests the imported Powder for contaminants and provides the lab results for every single batch we get. We do OUR lab-testing after, but no product even enters our facility that hasn’t already gone through independent lab-testing.
4. Happy Hippo does not pay minimum wage. Idaho’s minimum wage is $7.25. There is no full-time employee that makes under $15/hour. Even in Idaho, where the cost of living is cheaper in comparison, you can’t live on $7.25/hour.
5. Happy Hippo does not “mass-produce” Kratom. In 2019, we did buy a machine to help us fill our bags and seal them, but we are a relatively small operation (with extensive attention to detail) in comparison to other places.
6. Happy Hippo is a HUGE advocate for Kratom consumer rights. We try to donate $10,000 to the American Kratom Association each month. We’ve funded many local awareness campaigns to inform not only the general public, but also lawmakers and public officials of the Safety and Benefits of Kratom. As you know, the “powers that be” don’t want you to be able to use Kratom. This IS a fight that we can win, though, and we try our best to do our part.
For more information about our standards and an inside look at our operation, please check out “Why Happy Hippo is the Best Place to Buy Kratom”.